Kickstarter funding for the Luminth wraps up this week! If you have a friend that likes making music, this would be an excellent time to share a link to the project. Thank you for your support!
We’ve received some requests for additional Luminth Orbiter audio, so Kevin has posted two preview tracks from the Luminth album ($10 Kickstarter reward) on SoundCloud:
Thank you for reading! We’re looking forward to getting underway with the next phase of the project.
The Luminth Generative Music System is available for purchase on Kickstarter.com from now until June 13, 2013.
Click, turn, push+turn. Use the Luminth to generate melodies, percussive grooves, and ambient soundscapes. Make dramatic changes to the music with a single click. Dive deeper to make refined, subtle adjustments. Or let the software work autonomously to create music that morphs over time.
Luminth and Luminth Orbiter are for everyone who enjoys creating music. Beginners can start playing immediately: no musical training is necessary. Experienced musicians will enjoy a new approach to making music.
Luminth Orbiter can be used to:
- Generate new melodic and rhythmic ideas
- Play relaxing music at the end of a long day
- Create ambient sounds for a space or gathering
- Foster a child’s interest in creating music
- Make soundtracks for film or video
Thanks for reading!
The Luminth is a minimalist USB control peripheral. To use the Luminth, simply click, turn, and push+turn. The Luminth changes color with the music.
Luminth Orbiter is a generative music software application. Make dramatic changes to the music with a single click. Dive deeper to make refined, subtle adjustments. Or, let Orbiter work autonomously to create music that morphs over time.
The Luminth is the best way to control Luminth Orbiter software, but Orbiter is fully functional with or without the Luminth.
The Luminth and Luminth Orbiter will be available for purchase at 12:01AM EST on Thursday, May 16. Check nthsynth.com on Thursday for a link to the Kickstarter project page and purchasing information.
Our friend Alex Traxler from Griffen Hollow Studio cut the NTH enclosures for our production run, and has offered his services to NTH users looking for custom acrylic or wooden cuts. For the month of September, he is offering the following discounted prices:
- Acrylic enclosure – $75
- Wood enclosure – $125
Alex is a fine craftsman and made us the white oak enclosure seen below. You can contact him here.
We have a very limited supply of NTH Music Synthesizers available for purchase after filling the orders made during the Kickstarter campaign.
Each shipment will include:
- 1 NTH Music Synthesizer
1 T-Shirt (t-shirts are now sold out)
- 1 Accessory Pack including battery, decal, quick-start guide
Purchase your NTH at the link below:
We shipped the NTH and NTH PCB Kickstarter rewards between July 23 and July 31. The t-shirt rewards were shipped on August 1.
There are still four unclaimed NTH PCB rewards. We can’t ship them because we have not received a backer survey or shipping address from the backer. If you purchased an NTH PCB but have not received a shipment notice from us, please contact us as soon as possible.
We have uploaded the backer list and NTH Design Source Package for public download. The design source package contains all of the files needed to build an NTH from scratch.
If you haven’t already, please join the NTH Google Group. This is the best place to discuss the NTH and share NTH-related tracks and video.
Finally, special thanks to NTH backer Mike M. for sharing a video of the youngest NTHesist to date:
Thanks again for backing the NTH. Thanks for reading…
We thought you might be interested in seeing some images from our final testing, assembly, and packaging procedures. Please check out the photo spread below for a glimpse of the final production process.
NOTE #1: We still have not received international shipping funds from some backers. We cannot ship your reward to you without these funds. Please PayPal your payment to avoid shipping delays.
NOTE #2: We still have not received backer survey responses, including shipping addresses and phone numbers, from some people. We cannot ship your reward if we do not have this information. Please respond to your backer survey as soon as possible to avoid shipping delays.
Thanks again to everyone for your patience and for your support of the NTH!
Thank you for your Kickstarter survey responses. If you are one of the backers who have yet to complete the survey, please log in to your Kickstarter account and do this as soon as possible. We can’t ship your NTH if we don’t have your information.
The t-shirt order has been placed. We ordered quantities of different sizes based on survey responses. If you haven’t completed your survey yet, we will be sending you a size L shirt.
Our package carrier requires the recipient’s phone number. We forgot to ask for this piece of information in the backer surveys, so we will send an email request for this information. Sorry for the inconvenience. Of course, we won’t use your phone number for any other purpose.
Important note for backers outside of the United States: There are still some backers that did not add the international shipping cost to their Kickstarter pledge and that still have not sent the extra funds to us via PayPal. We can’t ship your reward unless we receive the funds to cover shipping. Please review your reward description for details. Please email us if you have questions.
We have added instructions for Mac users to the NTH Firmware Update How-To. Please take a look and post your questions at the NTH Google Group.
The USB flash drives came in and they look great!
We were recently interviewed by Mark Camperell at The Sonic Spread. If you’re interested in learning more about the development of the NTH, please take a look.
And finally…today we received the second and final shipment of circuit board assemblies from the assembly house.
We have begun the process of loading the firmware, confirming the hardware functionality of each board and tuning each filter. After that, we will assemble the enclosures and package the NTHs. Shipping will begin when the t-shirts arrive.
Thanks for reading!
Good news: the rocker switches shipped on May 16. Our PCB assembler received the complete parts kit for NTH production on May 22. This means that we should receive the assembled PCBs in the last week of June. We are ecstatic to advance to this stage of production.
In other project news:
– We have chosen the Creative Commons Attribution license for the NTH design source. This is a very permissive license that allows anyone to build an NTH or derivative design either for personal use or for profit.
– The final batch of acrylic panels has been completed by Griffen Hollow Studio. Alex at Griffen Hollow provided us with the special oak-panel NTH enclosure shown below. If anyone is looking for a unique enclosure to personalize their NTH, Alex provides an excellent service, and is well-versed with the design.
– After extensive consideration, we have decided to create a Google Group to serve as a discussion community for NTH users. It is not the sexiest option, but it provides a good mixture of universality and (we hope) low maintenance requirements.
– The silkscreens for the NTH t-shirts have been tested and are ready to go. We are using black American Apparel tees. We’ll be offering a choice of sizes XS-XL when the backer surveys are sent.
– Backer surveys will be issued sometime in the next two weeks. We need your prompt response to deliver your rewards.
– Important note to backers residing outside the USA: If your pledge did not include the extra shipping costs for your pledge level, we will not be able to ship your reward until we have received the addtional funds. Please take a moment to review your reward description. If you still need to send the additional funds, please PayPal them to us at email@example.com.
Thanks for reading.