Our friend Alex Traxler from Griffen Hollow Studio cut the NTH enclosures for our production run, and has offered his services to NTH users looking for custom acrylic or wooden cuts. For the month of September, he is offering the following discounted prices:
Acrylic enclosure – $75
Wood enclosure – $125
Alex is a fine craftsman and made us the white oak enclosure seen below. You can contact him here.
We shipped the NTH and NTH PCB Kickstarter rewards between July 23 and July 31. The t-shirt rewards were shipped on August 1.
There are still four unclaimed NTH PCB rewards. We can’t ship them because we have not received a backer survey or shipping address from the backer. If you purchased an NTH PCB but have not received a shipment notice from us, please contact us as soon as possible.
We thought you might be interested in seeing some images from our final testing, assembly, and packaging procedures. Please check out the photo spread below for a glimpse of the final production process.
NOTE #1: We still have not received international shipping funds from some backers. We cannot ship your reward to you without these funds. Please PayPal your payment to avoid shipping delays.
NOTE #2: We still have not received backer survey responses, including shipping addresses and phone numbers, from some people. We cannot ship your reward if we do not have this information. Please respond to your backer survey as soon as possible to avoid shipping delays.
Thanks again to everyone for your patience and for your support of the NTH!
Thank you for your Kickstarter survey responses. If you are one of the backers who have yet to complete the survey, please log in to your Kickstarter account and do this as soon as possible. We can’t ship your NTH if we don’t have your information.
The t-shirt order has been placed. We ordered quantities of different sizes based on survey responses. If you haven’t completed your survey yet, we will be sending you a size L shirt.
Our package carrier requires the recipient’s phone number. We forgot to ask for this piece of information in the backer surveys, so we will send an email request for this information. Sorry for the inconvenience. Of course, we won’t use your phone number for any other purpose.
Important note for backers outside of the United States: There are still some backers that did not add the international shipping cost to their Kickstarter pledge and that still have not sent the extra funds to us via PayPal. We can’t ship your reward unless we receive the funds to cover shipping. Please review your reward description for details. Please email us if you have questions.
We were recently interviewed by Mark Camperell at The Sonic Spread. If you’re interested in learning more about the development of the NTH, please take a look.
And finally…today we received the second and final shipment of circuit board assemblies from the assembly house.
We have begun the process of loading the firmware, confirming the hardware functionality of each board and tuning each filter. After that, we will assemble the enclosures and package the NTHs. Shipping will begin when the t-shirts arrive.
Good news: the rocker switches shipped on May 16. Our PCB assembler received the complete parts kit for NTH production on May 22. This means that we should receive the assembled PCBs in the last week of June. We are ecstatic to advance to this stage of production.
In other project news:
– We have chosen the Creative Commons Attribution license for the NTH design source. This is a very permissive license that allows anyone to build an NTH or derivative design either for personal use or for profit.
– The final batch of acrylic panels has been completed by Griffen Hollow Studio. Alex at Griffen Hollow provided us with the special oak-panel NTH enclosure shown below. If anyone is looking for a unique enclosure to personalize their NTH, Alex provides an excellent service, and is well-versed with the design.
– After extensive consideration, we have decided to create a Google Group to serve as a discussion community for NTH users. It is not the sexiest option, but it provides a good mixture of universality and (we hope) low maintenance requirements.
– The silkscreens for the NTH t-shirts have been tested and are ready to go. We are using black American Apparel tees. We’ll be offering a choice of sizes XS-XL when the backer surveys are sent.
– Backer surveys will be issued sometime in the next two weeks. We need your prompt response to deliver your rewards.
– Important note to backers residing outside the USA: If your pledge did not include the extra shipping costs for your pledge level, we will not be able to ship your reward until we have received the addtional funds. Please take a moment to review your reward description. If you still need to send the additional funds, please PayPal them to us at email@example.com.
Yesterday we received two “first article” production NTH PCBs from Screaming Circuits. These are the first NTH PCBs not hand-assembled by us. The boards look and work great. This is an important step because it validates our BOM and proves the ability of the assembler to manufacture the board to our spec.
Acrylic panels for the production enclosures are being produced in batches. Approximately 35% of the panels are complete. Here is a video of the two first article NTHs in production enclosures alongside the two previous prototypes. We’re having a bit of fun chaining together all 4 NTHs to create a synced “NTH ensemble”.
We have completed our order of electronic components for bulk production. In our possession are six boxes full of ICs, switches, pots, sliders and other parts in an assortment of reels, tapes, trays and bags.
We have received all of the production components except for, unfortunately, the rocker switches used in the design (NKK G12KP-YA). The orginal April ship date provided by the distributor has been pushed back to June 25th. We have contacted the switch manufacturer about the situation. Since there is no stock available within North America, we have no choice but to wait for a shipment from the factory in Japan.
If we are lucky, the switches will be shipped sooner than the estimated date. (We’ll keep our fingers crossed.) In the meantime, we are planning to do whatever we can to minimize the impact of the switch backorder. We may have the contract assembly done without the rocker switches. Then we can complete the boards ourselves, immediately after the switches are delivered.
We are about to place the bulk order for production PCBs. But because everything is gated by the availability of the rocker switches, we may not be able to begin shipping NTHs until late June or early July. We appreciate your understanding and patience. We will do our best to answer your questions and will post new information as the situation develops.